Frequently asked questions

Please see the following list of commonly asked questions or if you can’t find what you need please contact us.

1. What is a Certified Competent Installer?

All installers listed on Certified Competent are submitted by UKAS accredited certification bodies which operate a number of different certification schemes under Government license or under their own scheme rules. Their certification provides confidence to consumers, Government and industry.

2. What checks are carried out on installers?

Certified installers are subject to:

  • ongoing checks of company procedures
  • ongoing on-site checks of work standards
  • ongoing checks of site operative competence

3. What are Building Regulations?

Building Regulations are established in law to make sure that the buildings we use every day are safe and are designed to protect our welfare and health as well as being convenient for us to use. They are also in place to define the thermal performance of buildings. They cover all buildings, including your home, but also your place of work, your local gym and your supermarket.

Generally, Building Regulations are not about the aesthetics or quality of an installation, as long as it does not have an adverse effect on the building’s thermal performance, or the welfare, convenience, health and safety of the building’s users.

You can learn more about Building Regulations in our blog.

4. What is a Competent Person Scheme?

Competent Persons Schemes were introduced by Government. They provide a quicker, easier and more cost-effective alternative to submitting a building notice or paying an approved inspector from a Local Authority for certain home improvements.

Competent Persons Scheme members can self-certify that the work they have done meets current Building Regulation standards and can register the work done with the Local Authority, on behalf of their customer.

Read our blog about Competent Persons Schemes for more information.

5. What is a Building Regulation Compliance Certificate?

A Building Regulation Compliance Certificate is proof that your home improvements have been carried out inline with the current Building Regulations, to maintain the safety and thermal efficiency of your property.

6. How can I get a Building Regulation Compliance Certificate for my home improvement?

By choosing a contractor with active competent person scheme membership for the type of work you wish to be carried out through our Certified Competent contractor search, you can be confident that your home improvement works will be done in line with the current Building Regulations.

Once the work is completed on your home, your chosen installation company will register the work with the certification body, and you will be sent a Building Regulation Compliance Certificate within 7 working days.

7. Do I need a Building Regulation Compliance Certificate for the work carried out?

Certain types of building work require a Building Regulation Compliance Certificate to meet legal requirements. Failure to meet these regulations can result in a £5,000 fine. Building Regulation Compliance Certificates can be issued by either:

  • Directly from Local Authority Building Control
  • Through an Approved Inspector
  • Via a Government Authorised Competent Person Scheme

Your chosen certified competent contractor will guide you on the best route to take for your chosen work.

8. What do I do if I haven’t received my certificate of conformity or need a replacement?

Contact us using our contact us form and we will put you in touch with the appropriate certification body.

9. Which certification bodies support Certified Competent?

Certified Competent is supported by Certass Limited, Certified Roofer Limited and NAPIT Registration Limited

10. Can I get a building control certificate from an installer that is not a certified competent person?

Not from a competent person scheme operator, you would need to go to Local Authority Building Control where fees range from £120 to £350

11. Will I get any insurance for my installation?

As part of their commitment to protecting homeowners, all Certified Competent contractors provide an Insurance Backed Guarantee policy, to cover their guarantee to you, in the event that they cease trading.

12. What are Window Energy Ratings?

Window Energy Ratings were designed to help homeowners choose the best windows for their property. They use a mathematical formula that takes into account the energy performance of all the components of a window, such as the frame, glass, spacer bar, to produce a whole window U-Value and Window Energy Rating (WER).

All new and replacement windows must have a WER of C or above, or have a U-Value of 1.6 W/m2k or lower.

Read our blog for more Window Energy Rating details.

Cant find the answer?

Contact us with your question

Contact us
We are using cookies to give you the best experience on our website.
You can find out more about which cookies we are using or switch them off in settings.